Saturday, March 9, 2013

A perfect spring day

Today was one of those days I really needed.
After a long work week and a long winter to boot the forecast was calling for sunny and almost 70 degrees. The weather didn’t disappoint, I knew it was going to be a good day the minute I stepped outside to let the dog out. The few minutes I was outside the sun was already warming my back, and it felt glorious, and I couldn’t help but think, could spring really be on its way?

Andy had to work today, as he does most weekends, which is very disappointing, but it also gives me so much time to relish with Whitney. After breakfast and skyping with my parents we headed outside around 10:00 and didn’t come back in until noon. We trimmed some bushes, went for a wagon ride, played with chalk, went down the slide and talked with some neighbors. The sun was shining and warm, it was an instant mood lifter. Everyone was talking about how great the weather was and I know even Whitney could tell. She was totally happy just walking around the house playing and enjoying her time NOT wearing a hat, gloves or bulky jacket.

She is definitely happiest outside. Even in the winter (I know, I know, “winter” in S. Carolina is reeeeal brutal…) she prefers to play outside. She’ll walk me to the door when we’re inside and want to go out and it’s so dang cold out I can barely bring myself to go outside, but she loves it so much.
So now hopefully spring is here, or almost here, and we comfortably enjoy the outdoors.
We had such a great day. She had minimal breakdowns and was in a great mood all day. Ate good lunches and napped good too. All things that make a Mom super happy. We even had to run errands after her nap and she tagged along like a trooper. She has always liked shopping, but now she gets bored with it pretty quickly. However one stop was Toys R Us to get a new slide and she of course LOVES that place.
I broke down and got one of those outdoor slides. I had cheapened out and gotten a less expensive version a few weeks ago in hopes that it would work or I could find a used one at a consignment store or on Craigs List, but I had no luck doing so, and the slide I got would have been too small and flimsy for her when she gets a bit older. So I bit the bullet and got a Step 2 slide, we haven’t put it together yet, but I have a feeling it will be much better and will be able to grow with her better too.

These past few days I have noticed her adding to her vocabulary and getting much better at vocalizing what she wants. Whether she is talking, pointing, making motions, or even using the little signs she knows (more/help etc) everything is becoming more clear. Maybe that is why her tantrums were at a minimal today, I could actually understand what SHE wanted. She’s growing up right before our eyes. It’s true what people say that this time goes too fast. With baby #2 coming less than 3 months away I hardly remember Whitney as a baby. Possibly I worried that time away, too many tears shed, possibly the time just drifts away from us, now just photographs in albums and scrapbooks. I do remember that time, it hasn’t been THAT long ago, but remembering that little tiny baby stage I really do struggle with.

My parents came to visit last week too. We had such a great time and it is always so nice to have them come visit. They always stay really busy and we try to add up household projects for them when they come. This time they helped us move my old office to a different room in the house and we painted my old office and got it ready for Whitney, when she moves into her new big girl room as the nursery will remain a nursery for the next baby. They painted grey walls and I’ll have her accent colors pink and teal.
The week was not without disappoint though when my uncle (Dad’s brother) passed away from cancer. They had to cut the trip a week short and we rebooked some flights back to WI. The news was disappointing on so many levels but dealing and managing with disappointment is something I have been trying to work on. Definitely something you cannot plan for, and we did get to enjoy their time for a whole week, so I’m grateful for the time we DID get with them.

I know I haven’t written in so long and there is so much I’m forgetting. For now, I’m leaving you with some photos from the past few weeks.









No comments:

Post a Comment